Monday 24 February 2014

A walk in the park

Well since one of my resolutions this year was to resume power walking, I found myself geared up in sports shoe and tracks and heading towards Nageshwarrao park in Mylapore. (Note: Sorry Achyut Dutt, you will not find raks in this blog. I can hardly walk when she is around, I would be running instead :))

Armed with my ipod full of A.R. Rahman tracks, I began walking around, but it soon ran out of juice so I was left walking amidst chatting walkers, gossiping groups of old women and gangs of boys out there to develop their abs.

If I had known that the talk out here was so entertaining then I would have shut up Sting long back and plugged into gossip. Ahead of me was a couple of grandfathers walking and holding hands. Are they reminiscing about their old college days?

Grandfather 1: No. No. Samsung is the best. My pethi gifted me Samsung S4 tablet. It is very useful.
Grandfather 2: Mandu! Everybody says Iphones are the best.

hmmm... moving ahead I caught up with a gang of sari-clad grandmothers sauntering slowly wearing sports shoes. And they were discussing....

Grandmother 1: He is about that guy's height. (pointing towards a thick-set young man who was bouncing a football)

Grandmother 2: My granddaughter's friend's elder sister is also a thengalai

Grandmother 1: Do you have the horoscope?

Wondering if the match would be made right here on the park, I moved on. The path led me towards the children's park. And what do I see? Two thickset dark guys (who incidentally resemble the gundas from Chennai Express) adjusting their lungi, while playing on the see saw. Wow, don't they look ecstatic! On the other end, one more guy who looked like their cousin, was vigorously swinging under a board that read, 'Not for kids above 12 years'. Well the board didn't really account for those young at heart.

Ahead of me, there were a couple of serious walkers and I spotted a foreigner with a blond hair and her toddler son who was trying to sweep the floor (quite seriously) with a stick. The mother was intently drawing kolam with a chalk piece from a kolam book probably published by Giri Trading (the supermarket of all mylapore mamis). While the mother was drawing, the son had made friends with another boy who was showing him flashcards of rajini and vijay. Left to himself, her son might just grow up worshiping Rajini and thalai with milk packets.

Moving on, there was a small gazebo where a grandfather was intently exercising his legs as if there were a couple of lizards in his pants. And seated behind him were a coochicooing couple. He resembled the son of the lady who ironed my clothes, while she looked like the girl who bills me in the vegetable market. With their arms entwined, they were watching the grandfather shake a leg. But grandfather gave them a royal ignore and went on with his exercise regime.

I came upon the hand holding grandfathers again. This time around, they were arguing whether BSNL was a better service provider or Airtel.

Grandfather 1: Ad poya! BSNL thaan best

Grandfather 2: Where does it say? Airtel is fast

And I met the gang of grandmothers again and they were discussing the finer points of silk saris that were bought in Pothys as against Kumaran Silks leaving me mildly curious about the marriage match that they were discussing earlier.

After completing my rounds quite dutifully, I made my way back home after resolving not to get my ipod ever again.








No comments:

Post a Comment