Friday 2 August 2013

I finally found someone...

15 years ago...

I was watching Star Trek - Next Generation and my mother would sit down waiting for it to get over so that she can watch 'metti olli'.

"How can you watch this nonsense? Don't you get scared looking at their green monstery faces?"

I didn't bother to reply because this was the normal conversation that anybody in the house would have with me especially when it came to TV watching.

While my mother watched serials, my sister loved pseudo intellectual movies, I watched Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens, X Files, Xmen. Since there was only one TV in the house during those days, folk at home were forced to watch along with me. While little green men, aliens, spaceships exhilarated me, it bored others to the point of tears.

They frowned, passed sarcastic comments and ridiculed my taste but it didn't bother me. Though I wondered whether my mother had accidentally exchanged me at the hospital where I was born. Is there an another family with a mother and sister who loves Star Trek and space adventures just as I do? Are they stuck with someone who watches weepy dramas and mind numbing movies? Is there any chance that we can switch now after all these years?

No such luck. Years passed by and I met some kindred souls who shared my passion for space movies but they moved onto other states and countries...

I met my husband, who is passionate about every kind of movie except space adventures. I wish I had asked him about it on that first date!

Few more years passed, I do not watch that many movies nowadays unless it is a Chota Bheem or Krishna. Even if I happened to watch, it tends to be for brief intervals of half-hour so in most cases, it takes about five days to finish a movie... and if in case, I happen to watch a movie with raks around, I need to make sure that there are no adult scenes, no profanity, no violence, no nudity.... Ah! the list is endless.

And this was the case until... I watched Star Trek (new movie) one day at home.

I thought she was sleeping, so obviously she was not. She came and sat down, just as Spock was beaming down to Vulcan...

Well we watched it together, in harmony, barring a few questions about Spock' ears, and why he is kissing uhura and the weird markings in romulan's face... there were no disrupting requests to change the channel to watch the langoti clad desi hero chota bheem.

After that day, we watched Star Trek whenever we had nothing else to do... And I realized that I have finally got someone to watch space adventures with...

No comments:

Post a Comment